Sunday, June 6, 2010

WHO AM I

by: Maegan Zeresh Mahinay Monsanto

(This was part of the portfolio she submitted to her English teacher, who gave her 5 points each for the following criteria: mechanics, artistry, creativity and neatness. She was 12 years old at that time and was a struggling first year high school student, MG Section at Samar National Scool.)

My full name is Maegan Zeresh Mahinay Monsanto. I have been in this world 12 years since the day I first saw light in the early morning of November 07, 1995. My mother delivered me through cesarean operation after 12 hours of maternity labor because I weighed 8.0 lbs at birth. The second child in the family, I was born 8 years after my first sibling was born and 3 years before our younger sister.

The family was living in Paranas, Samar at the time of my birth. We transferred to our new house in V&G Subdivision, Barangay San Andres, Catbalogan City in 1996. Due to the separation of my parents, my mother brought me and my siblings back to Paranas, Samar in April of 2005 and we live there for some time, while my father stayed in our house. In November of the same year, we went back to Catbalogan City and rented a house in Barangay 11, Patag District.

For my preparatory education, I went to Samar Christian Academy for Nursery, and at Catbalogan I Central Elementary Scool for Kinder I and Kinder II, where I graduated first honors. I had my elementary education at Catbalogan 1 SPED Center where I was a consistent honor student from Grade I to Grade VI.

I had so much learning during my elementary years. Being in SPED Center, I was given a lot of opportunities to hone my knowledge, talents and skills through academic and non-academic activities. I also had a lot of fun during those times together with my classmates and friends. My very first friends then were Camille Yboa, Jenssen Uy, Ara Linde, Kloster Saises, Quennie Resco, Nicole Dimaculangan and a lot more. We are still friends until now.

We have a big family both from my mother's and father's side. My mother is Joy Frances Mahinay Monsanto, 45 years old. She was born on October 18, 1962 at Bagacay Mines Hospital in Hinabangan, Samar. She is from Paranas, Samar and a descendant of the Mabulay, Babalcon, Figueroa, Jabinez and Quebec clans. My father is Alberto Villalon Monsanto, 43 years old, born on November 15, 1964 in Calbayog City. He traces his roots from both Calbayog City and Oras, Eastern Samar.

I have a 21 year-old sister, born on May 22, 1987 in Catbalogan City. She is Ashley May Alison Mahinay Monsanto who is now taking up Bachelor of Laws in San Beda College. She graduated cum laude from UP Diliman, and has a Bachelor of Public Administration degree. A younger sister, Zeimon Abijah Mahinay Monsanto, also born in Catbalogan City, will be truning 10 this coming August 05, 2008. She is currently enrolled Grade III at Catbalogan I SPED Center.

The writer is my second daughter, who from a very early age has already shown potentials of a good writer. She was into diary writing in elementary, and it was during those times that i found out she has penchants for writing. She has stopped writing though when she realized that her works were not private anymore because I was reading some of them, a violation to privacy which I have regretted doing. I am encouraging her to go back into writing again. I told her that instead of cutie diary entries, she might do some light and simple literary works. I also said she may start by creating her own blog, which she already did. As to when she will begin to write in that blog and eventually publish her works, that remains to be seen.

1 comment:

  1. mayda ka ngayan sekreto nga kayamanan nga dapat ipasamwak...

    ReplyDelete